Domestic Violence Prevention Attorney Union County NJ

Hope For Survivors Feeling Trapped in a No-Win Situation

Domestic Violence Prevention Attorney Union County NJAs many in New Jersey continue to self-isolate, homeschool kids, and work from home, there seems to be no end to the significant number of daily disruptions. In a recent virtual town hall meeting on Domestic Violence, State Attorney General Gurbir Grewal noted that “the same isolation helping us flatten the curve and slow the spread of the pandemic also creates an ideal situation for an abuser.” Survivors of domestic violence, who are cut off from their co-workers, pediatricians, social workers, teachers, family members, or others who might otherwise observe and report abuse, may feel trapped in a no-win situation with their abuser because of “stay-at-home” orders. Regardless if these acts are physical or sexual in nature, harassment, false imprisonment, or economic abuse. Either they stay at home and be abused, or leave and expose themselves or their children to a deadly virus and an even more uncertain housing situation.

Are you experiencing domestic violence and concerned about getting help during this difficult time? New Jersey’s Domestic Abuse & Sexual Assault Intervention Services (DASI) issued a statement saying that their 24-hour hotline remains functional along with a thoroughly sanitized safe house for those in need. Deaf & Hearing Impaired survivors can access these services at 973-222-2593. If anyone needs information for themselves or someone else, or would simply like to talk about their situation, staff are available.

In addition, the Office of Domestic Violence Services (ODVS) also funds 22 domestic violence programs and the New Jersey Coalition to End Domestic Violence. There is at least one DCF-funded domestic violence program in each of New Jersey’s 21 counties.

Westfield Attorney Discusses Protecting Child Safety in Domestic Violence Claims

Whether your physical or economic safety is being threatened by another party, your child’s custody and safety are at risk or a restraining order is being filed against you, it is critical that you retain the counsel of an experienced Westfield domestic violence attorney to represent the best interests of you and your child throughout the process.

At The Law Office of Edward S. Cooper, we have extensive experience helping clients across Westfield, Elizabeth, Union, Plainfield, Linden, and the greater Union County area with domestic violence, child custody, and restraining order issues of all kinds. Whatever your situation may be, our law office has the experience, compassion, and the legal ability to help you successfully navigate this new legal landscape. To schedule a  confidential consultation with our office today, please contact us online or through our Linden, NJ office at (908) 481-4625.

What to Do If You Believe That You Suffer from Domestic Violence

The state of New Jersey’s procedures in cases of domestic violence are clearly outlined by the New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act. If you believe that you are a survivor of domestic violence, it is important to:

  • save any social media posts, letters, e-mails, or mail containing threats made against you
  • photograph of any visual bodily injuries
  • save any threatening phone messages left for you
  • collect copies of all medical records or emergency room reports
  • contact the police immediately if you or your family is in imminent danger
  • file a domestic violence claim with your local police department to obtain a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO)
  • if possible, seek refuge at a Domestic Violence Shelter
  • contact a New Jersey Domestic Violence Attorney immediately

5 Steps to Filing a Domestic Violence Complaint & Restraining Order in NJ

Your safety is important. Current “stay-at-home” orders have closed NJ courts, but exceptions have been made so urgent domestic violence matters can still be heard by a Judge to ensure survivor safety. To get the protection you need you should file a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) and make sure your voice is heard:

  • Submit your domestic violence case with your local police department, and apply for a TRO. If you do not request a TRO through the police department, your case may take longer to be scheduled, and may not be heard in person.
  • When you file your TRO paperwork with the police, explain the urgent nature of your circumstances, and the danger or harm that could likely result if your case is not heard immediately. This should help ensure your case receives immediate attention and is heard by the Courts.
  • The police will then phone a municipal court judge, who hears the request and case details and can grant you a TRO.
  • If a TRO is granted the police will serve the accused with the order, at which time the accused will be informed of the final hearing date – that will be within 10 days after the TRO is issued.
  • Contact an experienced domestic violence attorney who can advise you about proving your case and making the TRO a permanent Final Restraining Order (FRO).

Your actual court hearing, within 10 days after the TRO is issued, maybe in person or over via phone and/or video conferencing.

How Do I Schedule a Virtual Legal Consultation If I can’t leave the house?

If you are a domestic violence survivor it is in your best interest to seek knowledgeable legal counsel as soon as possible. Attorney Edward Cooper is prepared to protect your rights and arrange a convenient, comprehensive case evaluation to discuss how he can best support you and meet your legal needs. We are here to serve our clients in Rahway, Clark, Roselle Park, Garwood, Elizabeth, Cranford, Edison, and across New Jersey.

With the convenience of your smartphone, laptop, or tablet, you can:

1) Contact us online or

2) Call the Linden office (908) 481-4625 or

3) Direct Mail (DM) us over Facebook