Union County NJ Child Custody Attorney

Union County NJ Child Custody Attorney | Rahway NJ Child Custody Lawyer
Child Custody

Children are priceless gifts and unfortunately, they can often become collateral damage during the difficult divorce process. As a parent, it is natural to want to protect your child’s best interests and to establish an arrangement that provides your child with a sense of peace, happiness, and security. A dedicated divorce attorney can work to ensure that your child’s well-being remains paramount through what can otherwise be a very tumultuous time of transition. With a long-standing commitment to his clients and their families, Attorney Edward S. Cooper serves as a compassionate advocate throughout the divorce process, tirelessly working to achieve positive resolutions for his clients and those they love. For a stress-free, cost-free consultation with Mr. Cooper, contact his Union County offices anytime at 908-481-4625.

Rahway NJ Child Custody Lawyer

There are two distinct configurations within the realm of child custody in New Jersey: legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody provides one or more parents with decision-making power regarding the child’s health, education, and general well-being. In the case of joint legal custody, both parents must participate in a collaborative effort when making decisions involving schooling, medical treatment, etc.

On the other hand, physical custody refers to the child’s place of residence. For example, in the case of sole physical custody, physical custody is bestowed upon the parent with whom the child primarily lives, and visitation rights may be granted to the other parent. In cases of shared physical custody, one parent is deemed the “parent of primary residence,” while the other is referred to as the “parent of alternate residence.” These determinations are significant, as they may impact other issues such as child support payments and school enrollment. As for joint physical custody, this arrangement involves equal time spent with both parents.

Visitation, also known as parenting time, becomes an important component of all child custody arrangements. However, it is particularly essential in cases involving sole custody arrangements. In these cases, the parent that is granted visitation rights is termed the “non-custodial parent,” while the parent that is granted sole custody is deemed the “custodial parent.” When determining appropriate visitation, weekly scheduling must be addressed, as well as the division of holidays, vacations, and other important events.

Factors that Affect Child Custody Arrangements in NJ

There are a number of elements that must be considered when developing an appropriate child custody arrangement. Some of these factors include: the dynamic of the parents, the child’s relationship to each parent, past instances of domestic violence, a history of substance abuse, each parent’s current employment situation and the demands on his or her time, and the age of the child and his or her siblings (if any).

Under extraordinary circumstances, one parent may request that the other parent be barred from access to the children. If one parent is deemed unfit, the court may deny visitation rights and award sole legal and physical custody to the other parent.

With all of the components that influence child custody decisions, each case requires a unique configuration and creative solutions to achieve an outcome that serves the best interests of the child. It is also important to remember that child custody arrangements may require modification over time as circumstances evolve. These arrangements can be altered during post-divorce proceedings with the help of a skilled family law attorney.

Contact an Experienced Roselle Park NJ Child Custody Attorney

It is critical to find an attorney who sees you as a person with a unique set of circumstances, thereby addressing your case on an individualized basis to accommodate your specific needs. Edward S. Cooper provides this specialized attention to each and every one of his clients. To discuss your case free of charge, contact his Union County offices at 908-481-4625.